Bob is the 2011 Texas Music Awards "Singer/Songwriter Of The Year", an Emmy winning songwriter, Kerrrville and Napa Valley Festival winner with eight commercial CD's, two of which were Euro top 10 and the most recent, 2010 release "Tall Texas Tales", was US Americana #28. Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings have recorded his songs. When he died, Elvis had a song of Bob's on his "to do" list. Having written over 3,000 songs with some of them on TV and in movies, Bob has toured Europe relentlessly the past 10 years doing 40-60 concerts per tour and has been a music biz professional since the late 60's during his top-40-charting pop career in LA, being the voice on the TV theme "Love American Style" and having played gigs in just about every state in the US. In addition to his 1999 "Gettysburg To Graceland" CD being Americana top 20, one of the results of that record was the opening spot on what was to be Johnny Cash's final tour. Bob grew up in Memphis and got a soul full of music not only from the icons of his youth such as Elvis and Johnny Cash but also from his mother who was a radio star in the 20's-30's during the big band era. From an early age, his feet were firmly planted in Mississippi Delta Mud, and his songs began to feature characters whose lives reflected the life style along the rivers of the south over the past 100 years. Having spent 16 years as a journeyman writer in Nashville's music scene, he now lives in Austin fine-tuning his musical voice spinning rootsy, blues-flavored tales of life in a conversational language of the heart.
Euro Americana top 10 CDs: Fiona's World and Tall Texas Tales
- US Ameriana CDs: The Stories I Write #14, Gettysburg To Graceland #17 and Tall Texas Tales #28
- Creator and host of The Bob Cheevers Sacramento
Songwriter's Showcase 1989-1991
- Johnny Cash tour opener
- Winner of prestigious Kerrville New Folk Competition
- Winner of Napa Valley Folk Festival Songwriting Award
- Emmy Award for Music Video of "Big City Gambler"
- Sang theme song to Love American Style as member of
Peppermint Trolley Company
- Advisory board of Austin Songwriter's Group
"TALL TEXAS TALES" QUOTES
"Bob Cheevers is one cool scarecrow gypsy poet who
writes and sings the romantic beautiful truth. When he releases
a record, I listen." -- Ray Wylie Hubbard
- "This time my friend Bob turns his eagle eye on Texas, and turns in a beautiful collection of
expertly produced pieces of life down here. Well done bro. This thing kicks ass."
-- Kevin Welch
- "Bob Cheevers is an American treasure and a true tunesmith-troubadour. His new album
defines his spirit and is a wonderful addition to any Americana playlist."
-- Rick Star...President...Homegrown Americana Radio Consulting
- "Bob Cheevers came to Austin quite recently, but he's already familiar with the map of
Texas. Tall Texas Tales is filled with colorful stories and vivid settings. The album is a proof
of a passion for storytelling that's usually only shown by local veterans. The album feels
like a fresh new start."
-- Gert-Ove Fridlund - Hallandsposten Magazine
- "What a pleasure to hear about Texas thru the words of Bob Cheevers... brilliant, believable
artist and total entertainer."
-- Lee Duffy...Texas Songwriter's Association
Austin Songwriters Group (Executive Director), Singer/songwriter
- "...a book of short stories, bound together flawlessly by a natural born story teller". --Neil Fagin of Performing Songwriter Magazine
- "Bob's Southern songs show an understanding of war as a thing of shame as well as glory." -- Shelby Foote, renowned Civil War Historian
- "Bob is the New Mark Twain and the Great American Writer." -- John Tita of Polygram Music NY
- "Bob's lyrics definitely get the idea across very clearly of a time and place in history. Elvis was always a word man and would have enjoyed these songs very much."
--Gordon Stoker of "The Jordanaires"
- "Bob Cheevers has a Delta heart and acerbic tongue giving his music an honesty about the South rarely touched on by any other artist in the contemporary music scene." --Bill Ellis, The Memphis Commercial Appeal
- "Bob is a born storyteller. This man could put Shakespeare to shame. And that voice! Does he gargle gravel and honey for breakfast? Whatever, it works. Not only could Bob charm the birds from the trees, he could have them singing backing vocals for free if he wanted. We appreciate real talent in the North East- so we love Bob! -- Julia Hankin
presenter, The Julia Hankin Show, BBC Radio Newcastle
- "Bob is as deep South as mockingbirds and magnolia blossoms...steeped in its
history and mystery and adept at relating the journey and painting its complicated picture in simple pastel colours. He is the southern states in microcosm...an ambassador for its culture and traditions and the latest in a line of story-teller troubadours that stretch back to the beginning of time. He is a fully paid-up member of the second oldest profession on the planet...true to his vision and as real as it gets...he's wonderful as a musician a and person. Becoming a Cheevers Believer is a pollination process, and I would hate to think of him being in that box of broken jewel cases and dreams under the desk of every radio producer." -- Rob Ellen, Promoter/Radio Presenter, Medicine Music, Scottish Highlands
Home : Profile : Tour Dates : News : CD's & Stuff : Multimedia
Photos : Links : Fan Site : Email List : Facebook : ReverbNation